Saturday, November 01, 2008

this place called poetry exhibit



What happens when poetry comes into your life? Can poems make a difference? Meet 11 San Francisco youth who’ve embarked on a lifelong journey with words. This exhibition of art and film tells the stories of young people finding and claiming their place.

poetry first came into my life when i was 13 years old - i had always loved reading, escaping into a world of fantasy and wonder that i found in stories. But i didnt start writing poems until i was 13 . i was pretty shy then, but through my first poetry teacher's encouragement i found that i loved writing poems. it also made me more confident about myself and she really helped me grow as a writer and supported my creativity. i am 20 years old now - it's been 7 years since that first workshop - i can honestly say WritersCorps has changed my life in so many ways.

it's november 2008, and WritersCorps is celebrating their 15th anniversary through an exhibit in the sf arts commission gallery and 11 youth writers are represented, including me - please check out the trailer below (i'm the girl in the preview image!) I've also made a large collage piece for the show - which i'm really excited about since it's the largest piece i've ever made.


if you're in the sf bay area please check out the exhibit
When: November 7, 2008 to January 24, 2009
Opening Night Reception: Thursday, November 13, 2008, 5:30 to 7:30 pm
Where: San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery
401 Van Ness Ave (at McAllister), San Francisco, CA 94102
415-554-6080

for more info on WritersCorps go here
hopefully i will take pics for a sneak peek on the exhibit. the messy process of it all began for me today when i helped install my collage piece.

No comments: